B.R.A.T.’s = Bacon, Romaine, Avocado, and Tomato
Yeah, I know. Deep down I, too, was kind of hoping that I had followed through on making one of the many possible, and surely delicious, preparations of bratty child that all of us parents have fantasized about making. Alas, they live to fuss another day…
This Whole30-style take on the B.L.T. sandwich was a go-to meal for us when we were short on time and long on appetite. If you, too, find yourself busy juggling demanding diets and tenuous toddler tolerances, this recipe might help you please everybody… at least this time.
As with the B.L.T., the preparation is very straight forward and the variations are endless. We made ours with homemade bacon and Sir Kensington’s Mayonnaise. It was always very tasty and surprisingly satisfying. Each time we made it, one of us would inevitably mention how we didn’t miss the bread at all. Of course homemade bacon and guilt-free mayo probably helped that.
- 6 large leaves of romaine lettuce, washed and stemmed
- 12 slices of bacon, cooked crisp
- 2-3 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1 large avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- Sir Kensington’s mayonnaise
- freshly-cracked black pepper
- Assemble by smearing mayo onto each romaine leaf and lining with 3-4 slices of tomato, 2 slices of bacon, 2 slices of avocado (or whatever fits best), and seasoning with freshly-cracked black pepper.
Do you enjoy a good BLT? How do you feel about lettuce wraps? I used to not be a huge fan of lettuce wraps but these are really good and I am continually surprised by how many things just taste yummy in lettuce wraps!